Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/manolo/public_html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/StandardTheme_20/admin/functions.php on line 229
Manolo the Columnist: | Manolo's Shoe Blog

Manolo the Columnist:

Manolo says, here is the Manolo’s latest column for the Express of the Washington Post.

Dear Manolo,

Thanks to Hurricane Sandy, we’re having Thanksgiving at my house this year. I’ve never done this before, cooked a turkey-and-all-the-trimmings for 25 people. (How hard can it be, right?) So, I’ve ordered the turkey, and thought about seating arrangements, tried out various pumpkin-and-indian-corn centerpieces, but now I need some shoes, something comfortable enough for the kitchen, but attractive enough for the dining room.


Manolo says, once again it is time for the peculiarly American festival of Thanksgiving, when we honor our Puritan ancestors, and give thanks to the God in the Heaven, by committing at least three, and possibly four, of the Seven Deadly Sins (Gluttony, Pride, Sloth, and if the traditional holds, Wrath.)

Speaking of the wrathfulness, this year, the conversations around the table should be especially fun, given the fact that 51% of the people present will be gloating about the recent election, while the other 49% will be working through the five stages of electoral grief.

Cooking Tip: For best eating results one should brine the turkey for at least 24 hours before the cooking. The Manolo the Chef suggests using the equal portions of kosher salt and the crushed Quaaludes, just to give the tryptophane that extra boost that will prevent your relatives from becoming too feisty, quoting Rush Limbaugh and Paul Krugman at each other during the timeouts of the football game.

Here is the Tiffany from the Kate Spade New York, the mid-heel, peep-toe wedge that has exactly the right amount of oomph to distract your guests away from the topic of the politics.

Tiffany from Kate Spade New York

5 Responses to “Manolo the Columnist:”

  1. Cat November 17, 2012 at 1:09 am #

    Ha! The Manolo has described precisely why my father declined my invitation to Thanksgiving dinner this year. He is the Rush Limbaugh-style conservative and does not wish to share the table with a house full of liberals, which is probably best for all concerned. I can only hope he will have worked his way through the five stages of grief by the time Christmas rolls around; otherwise I may have to try your brining recipe.

  2. Livia November 17, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

    This would be a cute pair of shoes if the toes hadn’t been chopped off. Most people’s toes are not attractive, and it’s particularly bizarre in cold weather months. I don’t get the peep toe phenomenon at all.

  3. Rachel of Cyberia November 19, 2012 at 2:17 am #

    Do they still make Quaaludes? I haven’t heard about them since the mid 80s.

  4. long island November 20, 2012 at 9:35 am #

    Ha! The Manolo is showing his age with the Quaalude reference and I am showing my age by getting the reference. I love the idea of brinning the turkey in sedatives though.

  5. Comfort Shoe Lady November 20, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

    May I suggest these: http://www.zappos.com/gabriella-rocha-ginger-black-leather Kitten heels look dressy without being uncomfortable.