Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Manolo's Super Fantastic Forums
News: Welcome to Fantasy Island, Manolo Style!
Welcome to Manolo the Shoeblogger's Super Fantastic Forums!

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Flip-Flop versus the Sandal  (Read 23540 times)
Unfashionista

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2007, 06:40:36 PM »

So what exactly is the difference between the flip-flop and the sandal?  Is the flip flop simply anything that can be purchased for under $50 that is made of rubber?  Is the summer sandal merely a leather and bejeweled thong sandal? 
From what I can tell, this is the flip-flop and should never be worn outside of the shower (I disagree, as I love the flip-flop, but I'm trying to be a grownup here.  I actually think this is really pretty.)

And this is the beautiful "sandal" that is the bejeweled and leather sandal that costs over ten times as much?

Are these more affordable shoes flip-flops or sandals?

So could somebody please clear this up for me?  Is it acceptable to wear flip-flops as long as they look more like sandals? 
gemdiva

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 12:14:49 PM »

Unfashionista,

I believe the distinction llies in the material used to fashion the flip flops/sandals.  If they are made of rubber or a man made material resembilg rubber, then they are flip flops no matter the embelishmen or heel/wedge height.

Sandals are leather and sometimes adorned.  It is confusing because there are attractive "flip flops" and really ugly "sandals" in circulation, but I try personally to adhere to this definition. 

Further, flip flops are for the spa shower, taking out the trash and for wearing at the sandy beach or the back yard pool.  Never at the office (God forbid) or any other public venue. 

Sandals are sometimes appropriate for dress down day and can be worn for the summer festivities.

It is all a matter of good sound judgement so teach your children well.
PurpleRules

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 06:32:04 PM »

I think a flip-flop is a flip-flop no matter what it's made from. If it's a thong-style sandal that makes a "flip flop" sound when you walk, then it's a flip-flop. They're not distinct from sandals; they're a subset of sandals. All flip-flops are sandals but not all sandals are flip-flops.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: