Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Manolo's Super Fantastic Forums
News: Welcome to Fantasy Island, Manolo Style!
Welcome to Manolo the Shoeblogger's Super Fantastic Forums!

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad Tennis Fashion  (Read 5305 times)
dr nic

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2007, 02:44:40 PM »

I am watching the French Open and have unfortunately come across the "outfit" of the Serena Williams.  It appears to be yet another of her designs.  She is wearing a dark purple sports bra with a pink halter-tie dress over it and matching bandanna.  An upper view can be seen here. http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/othersports/story/DD6BA3D8496D0F1E862572F0001F1F61?OpenDocument.   

Here http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/sports/tennis/results/7803412.html is a full body view.

Why is it that so many actresses and other public figures feel they can design clothing?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 02:48:07 PM by dr nic » Logged

"If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell, a level they reserve for child molestors, and people who talk at the theater" - Shepard Derias Book, Firefly
PurpleRules

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 03:39:21 PM »

Because so many people are willing to buy their "designs". Or someone thinks people will buy them. I've never seen anything "designed" by a celebrity that I was even tempted to buy but someone must be shelling out for the stuff.

In the case of H&M, maybe they're just happy if people come into the store and look at it. Perhaps it really increases the foot traffic in the store so it doesn't matter if it actually sells. 

It also helps that they (actresses) have huge egos. They're on the cover of magazines (when was the last time you saw a model on the cover of a magazine?) and are constantly told what a "great style" they have. It would never occur to them that having great style doesn't necessarily translate into great design skills. On top of that, most of them don't have great style. They've got a great stylist, whose got great style.

Once upon a time, it was enough to be regarded as a great actress. Then they had to release an album. Then they all had to have their own perfume. Now it's a clothing line. I'm almost afraid to ask, what's next?
Manolo the Shoeblogger
Administrator

shoeblogger
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 09:30:51 PM »

Bravo to the Purple Rules!  The Manolo could not have said it better himself!

Manolo Loves the Shoes!
PurpleRules

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 11:05:30 AM »

But wait, there's more! Having just watched and enjoyed "Marie Antoinette", I thought I would read the book on which it's based. The sales woman at the bookstore apologized for not having the copy with Kirsten Dunst on the cover. Why would Kirsten Dunst be on the cover? Shouldn't Marie Antoinette be on the cover? Then I remembered that years ago, I noticed Russell Crowe was on the cover of "A Beautiful Mind".  I had given this much thought at the time and had come to the conclusion that John Forbes Nash must be a vampire and therefore could not be photographed. Why else would they not put his picture on the cover?  But now I realize that it's all just marketing. And we're all the poorer for it. 
Phyllis

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 08:22:18 PM »

"Having just watched and enjoyed "Marie Antoinette", I thought I would read the book on which it's based. "

The book on which the movie is based?  Whatever do you mean? Now there is a book called "Queen of Fashion", by Caroline Weber, published at about the same time as the movie came out, but they are not affiliated.  It's a wonderful look at MA from the perspective of the way her fashion influenced that period in French history, but it's not by any means a book about the movie.

In addition to Caroline's book, which is really about Marie Antoinette’s fashion and her wardrobe, one of the best biographies of MA is by Antonia Fraser, "Marie Antoinette: The Journey"

Marie Antoinette is a person worth reading about, especially if you read celebrity blogs and tabloids because she was the first true modern celebrity.

Her life reminds me a lot of Diana's and it was tragic for many of the same reasons.
 Cry
Phyllis
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 08:24:28 PM by Phyllis » Logged
PurpleRules

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 04:33:20 PM »

The movie is based on the Antonia Fraser book. I finished it yesterday and started the Caroline Weber book last night. I'd love to hear about any other good books about MA. She was a fascinating and complex woman.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: