Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Manolo's Super Fantastic Forums
News: Welcome to Fantasy Island, Manolo Style!
Welcome to Manolo the Shoeblogger's Super Fantastic Forums!

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: B.T.O. #7 -- Mercurypipe from Stuart Weitzman  (Read 34828 times)
theskylar!

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 06:56:37 PM »

I opted for very very simple, as too many crazy animal prints bring to mind unhappy thoughts. I stuck to black and white, but wanted interesting cuts and details so as not to bore onlookers into flinging themselves into traffic (also note the cuteness of the mock turtleneck peeking over the coat collar...eeee!). Moreover, seamed stockings are fabulous and need no justification.

For accessories, I chose the zexy Bottega Veneta bag in a matte red leather (something I could never afford on my po' grad student budget, but hey, a girl can dream...), and matched the gunmetal details on the bag with the unusual Lauren Wolf earrings, which almost give the outfit a goth-y feel...who knew leopard print could be goth?

Hooray!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:08:12 PM by theskylar! » Logged
shoeguru64

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 08:59:47 PM »

I wanted a glamorous and fun outfit to go with those super fantastic shoes.  I used a gorgeous Vannessa Bruno jacket as my base.  The volume in the sleeves are fashion forward but not fashion victimy.  A statement blouse from Robert Rodriguez adds visual interest and a beautifully tailored pair of pants from Theory pulls the outfit together.  As the saying goes, a great bag makes the outfit.  The woven black patent clutch from Elliot Lucca does indeed make the outfit.  The other accessories can't be forgotten.  A sumputous cocktail ring from Kenneth Jay Lane, the king of costume jewelry, adds a lovely accent.  The incredibly chic navy blue hat from Marc Jacobs puts the cherry on top. 

Dashrashi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 09:36:33 PM »

I was really interested in how the leopard is simultaneously graphic and natural, and so I picked elements to try and play with that dichotomy. Palette was warm neutrals, with a lot of black to up the sophistication level.

Pants are from the new Erin Fetherston for Target line. Velvet for textural play, black for classing up the joint, wide-legged for volume to cut the sexpot nature of the boots.

Top is Eritokritos from Bluefly--graphic elements, but drapey and green for the hint of nature--and again, lessens the in-your-face of the boots.

Jacket is Ben Sherman, available at Urban Outfitters, worn open only. Graphic counterpoint--sharp lines, the trim--to the drapey-ness of the top and the wide-legged pants.

Bag is Hermes from Bluefly--again, the strong lines of the black leather add sort of a subtle graphic element in the form of a natural material to what overall remains an understated item. It also echoes the jacket--black on black with a contrasting textural trim.

Earrings are from Anthropologie. I figured emphasizing the natural over the graphic up by the face would be a nice counterpoint to the way the boots emphasize the natural (leopard skin) at the expense of the graphic elements of the pattern, at least at first glance. Like the boots, though, the earrings are so strongly linear/graphic (I can't believe I used that word again) while purportedly portraying natural objects. Also, the gold re-emphasizes the warmth of the colors in the boots against the green and black of the rest of the outfit.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:52:41 PM by Dashrashi » Logged
Ladoled

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 10:38:32 PM »

This purse is from www.designerexposure.com and sells for $995- a real beaut!

The hat is from www.bloomingdales.com, a Surell Accessories Shearling Newsboy Cap
$190.00

The jacket and pants are both from www.anthropologie.com, Gramercy Blazer at $148.00 and Pumpkin Patch Trousers for $198.

The orange gloves are from www.accessoiriste.fr, and are currently ON SALE for 30.55EUR. If one felt like overdoing the leopard print a little for a walk on the wild side, the patterned gloves are likewise from www.saksfifthavenue.com, the Maison Fabre Leopard Print Suede Gloves at $135.

The scarf is also from www.saksfifthavenue.com and is called the Ying Li Umbrella Garden Scarf, at $235

The earrings too are from www.saksfifthavenue.com,  Katy Briscoe Medium Hope's Loop Earrings for $3000

Total price tag for this madness and mayhem is: approx. $4800.  The $100 prize money for this contest would just get me started...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:40:46 PM by Ladoled » Logged
again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 10:52:26 PM »

I am in agreement with the Manolo - the shoes are quite bold, and the outfit must not be overdone.  In fact, when I looked at the boots, I thought about whether I would wear them myself, and I decided that I would, if they first passed the can-I-walk-in-them test.  So, what would I wear with them?  Well, truth be known, I would wear an outfit that I could wear - to go window-shopping in the city and watch the skaters at Rockefeller Center - every winter for the rest of my life. 

And so I found...

The classic 1940's style below-the-knee black merino/silk skirt:

The even more classic black cashmere turtleneck:

A tortoise-shell necklace, picking up on the warm tones and animal theme in the boots:

Earrings and a watch to match:

Stockings (in off-black of course):

An absolutely timeless walking coat:

A suede bag:

And sight-for-sore-eyes boots:

There.  Not the peak of haute couture - but an outfit for a beautiful woman in very striking boots.
J-Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 11:42:19 PM »

No question, these boots make a statement!
In true feline form, the rest of the outfit is subtle, but playful --
the black and camel outfit purrs so that the boots can ROAR!

thepinkeminence

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 01:42:23 AM »

There's something so over-the-top about these boots that they make me nervous.  I calmed myself (and found enough courage to think of wearing them!) by picking a remarkably chic and COMFORTABLE outfit.  The color palette is uniform to bring out the boots, with blacks and browns, but everything's got great detail: the gathering of the sweater, the high waist on the denim, the studs on bag and gloves... I picture the scarf tied loosely, pinned with the cameo.  I would wear this with panache if it were only possible on my grad student budget.

(Coat: Kenneth Cole; Sweater: Leo&Sage; Jeans: Diesel; Jewelry/Wrap: Overstock; Gloves: Michael Kors; Bag: Valentino; Sunglasses: Oliver Peoples)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 01:44:58 AM by thepinkeminence » Logged
Megaera

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 05:38:49 AM »

She was done apologizing, done with being the, "quiet one." This was the time, this was the place, and these were the shoes. Her brown eyes were heavily lashed and lined in a smoky green. Her lipstick made promises she was finally ready to keep. Her coat was firmly belted over her dress, but her long bare legs seemed to mock the cold as they stretched up endlessly from her boots. With the gold powder all over her body she looked like some sort of warrior goddess, polished and wild all at once.

Ghibli Gold Embellished Python and Calfskin purse: forzieri.com

Long suede leather vintage trench: vintagevibrations.com

Lara Bohinc Lunar Eclipse necklace: net-a-porter.com

Forzieri Women's Burgundy Cashmere Lined gloves: forzieri.com

Deborah: Products - Make-up - Lips: deborah.it

Chiffon Sash Dress: fashionaddicts.com

Wendy Nichol: Dark Mauve bracelet: starsandinfinitedarkness.com

Sephora: Stila All Over Shimmer Eyes: sephora.com

Sephora: Guerlain Forever Gold Sublime body powder: sephora.com

Sephora: Sephora Brand Flirt-It Lash Duo: sephora.com

Sephora: Sephora Brand Cream Eyeline: sephora.com

Niiicola

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 01:59:34 PM »

Wow, this was much harder than I thought it would be! I wanted a slim body silhouette, balanced out by some volume, which is why I chose the dress/shirt combo. To tie the black dress back to the boots, I chose brown tights. I thought the ring was just plain lovely, so I included that. The necklace and bag provide nice accent colors. And I thought the wool cape was the perfect quirky cover-up for cool autumn weather.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 02:04:05 PM by Niiicola » Logged
supaflyshi

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 06:18:45 PM »

I'm not the biggest fan of prints but I'll have a try. Since the boots already say a lot, I'll try to keep it simple.

I'll start with a crotchet dress only $49 at victorias secret.

A turtleneck sweater also from victorias secret.

Opaque French tights from nordstrom.

An antique leather bag from bluefly.

Earrings from etsy.

And of course,the boots.

phaith

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2007, 12:23:57 AM »

I've never worn animal prints before so these boots excited me; this is a great way to explore new styles.  I'm really happy with what I've come up with and I'm going to own it as soon as I can.  Because the boots where so bold I decided to go with more neutral colours in the rest of the outfit, with just the teal to add that little something extra to it.  I love the classic chanel bag with these boots; the black of the bag picks up the soles of the boots and the gold picks up the colours of the print and coordinates with the gold top and earrings.

earrings - argos.co.uk
teal top - I was unable to determine where this shirt came from
gold top - rampage.com
pants - anthropologie.com
purse - bagborroworsteal.com
boots - the wonderful zappos.com
StyleAble

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 05:26:41 AM »

What I like about these boots is that they are a bit fun and funky and conservative at once. They aren't a slight, strappy, siren stiletto of a shoe, like, say, these for example, but they still manage to be very sexy. I think they are best complemented with rich jewel tones and a fun, cool, yet sweet silhouette.

-The leather bolero jacket is Layfayette 148.
-The purple suede purse is Stuart Weitzman.
-The navy silk blouse with red piping is Sunner.
-The wide-leg trouser jeans are AG Adriano Goldschmied.
-The gold leopard earrings are by Laurie Stetzler*
-The red double-braided headwrap was found at Urban Outfitters.
-The Amethyst necklace was found at Zales.
-And the boots of course are Stuart Weitzman.

*I should add that the leopard is currently only available in pin form, but I think a smaller version would make for a fabulous pair of stud earrings with the tails acting as modified hoops.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 08:29:27 AM by StyleAble » Logged
sam

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 09:14:02 AM »

An outfit for the tall girl who's a little bit sweet, and a little bit tough, part downtown, and little uptown too. She's on the town for a gallery opening and some drinks. Her makeup is simple yet dramatic, her cheeks are highlighted with coral colored blush (to match the necklace), across her eyelids a shimmery sweep of copper shadow and around her eyes; loads of smudgy black eyeliner.

Necklace = Lyndalla Designs
Bodysuit/Top = American Apparel
Leather Jacket = GoldSign at shopbop
Watch = MICHAEL by Michael Kors at Nordstrom
Shoes = Stuart Weitzman
Skirt = Carolina Herrera at Saks Fifth Avenue
Tights = Pretty Polly Soft Opaque Tights at mytights.com
Clutch = Steve Madden at Macy's

edot

woo hoo! shoes and beers!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2007, 06:43:15 PM »

I loved the idea of playing these boots with a neutral palette, but I opted for a more saturated color scheme. Black sets the foundation right from boot's platform, and follows all the way up with a funky, openwork necklace. I paired it with a lovely ochre silk coat and the dark green base layer sneaking out at the wrists and neck, highlighted by the green in the glasses. The heart is pure, yet complex, with the winter white pleated top coyly left hidden only by the buttoning of the coat. Behold!
mangoboba

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2007, 08:16:20 PM »

This is my first Build the Outfit post.  Hope you like it Smiley.

The person I'd imagine wearing these shoes is the mousy, yet sexy, student librarian who aspires to be a writer.  She's shy, but her personality shines through in her quirky choice of accessories and, of course, her super-fantastic shoes!

Whimsical, yet librarian-appropriate top: Ella Moss at Barney's New York
Basic skirt: Banana Republic
Hand-knit sweater Coat: Anthropologie
Vintage Harry Potter-esque glasses: Operaopera.net
Typewriter earrings: Tilly Bloom at Etsy.com
Alice in Wonderland "Drink Me" vial necklace: Hoolala at Etsy.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: