Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Manolo's Super Fantastic Forums
News: Welcome to Fantasy Island, Manolo Style!
Welcome to Manolo the Shoeblogger's Super Fantastic Forums!

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: B.T.O. #8 -- Summer Boot by Modern Vintage  (Read 37350 times)
Manolo the Shoeblogger
Administrator

shoeblogger
View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 10, 2007, 04:18:09 PM »

Many people's have asked the Manolo, "What should we wear with the thigh-high, over-the-knee boots?"

Well, the Manolo decided to defer to his many internet friends, who include among their number the excellent amateur stylists, and ask them, what would you do with these...

The Summer Boot from Modern Vintage.  No, the Manolo does not know why these boots, which do not look very summery, should be called the "Summer Boot", all he knows is that they are the handsome and rakish and worth wearing, but only if one can figure out what to wear them with.

This week our competition is sponsored by the new online shoe company, Heels.com, who will be providing the winner with 1500 Heels Reward Points (which equals $100 of the American dollars!). 

And so now, go build the outfit, solve this difficult stylistic conundrum.

Manolo Loves the Shoes!
morganlf

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 07:49:38 PM »

These boots are tricky -- it would be too easy to look like Lindsey Lohan with her pirate headdress on her way to the themed Holiday party.  I've chosen to focus on rich textures and colors (purple, bourdeaux, suede, cashmere) so a super-fantastic and refined girl can be proud to show off her long legs as she walks down 5th Avenue!  Add some cream-colored tights, and you've got a complete outfit!  (Everything here is from Bluefly.)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 10:44:49 PM by morganlf » Logged
The Red Menace

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 09:39:29 PM »

So, the boots have a certain equestrian flair to them that made me immediately think of English prep schools. My outfit is inspired by the classic tailored elegance of boy's prep school uniforms, with a modern, more feminine feel. I have also added elements to make this outfit more seasonally festive -- the boots combine with the whole ensemble to create a dazzling holiday outfit that I wish I could afford for myself!

Rachel

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:57:46 PM »

I'd go with a short dress to show off the over-the-knee boots. The ribbed tights make the leg look even longer. The earrings and bag complement the blues of the dress. And the coat, I just love the coat. I was going to go for a hat, too. But as I pictured the long-legged girl wearing the ensemble hurrying down the streets of Manhattan to meet friends for an informal party, I just knew she wouldn't want to ruin her look with hat hair.

tovagold

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 11:31:18 PM »

I loved the idea of showing off the boots with the short shorts, and I complimented the structural shape in the shorts and top. The long line of the leg will still make the wearer appear slender and sexy.
Simple, organic jewelry keeps the lines clean and the orange adds a simple pop to the wrist.

a collection of overstyled individual peices brought together to form an undertstated overall look.
Dawngrrl

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 12:10:26 AM »

These boots make me wanna roar like a big cat and what a better way to pair that with a bit of animal print like the D&G Ocelot dress, the delish bleffer shades, that yum yum Rebbecca bag by Goldenbleu and Jack Hardy's super fantastic Palu cuff! 

For a lunch downtown with the girls and a bit of shopping....

Kiss Kiss
Dawngrrl Gametart
Cymbeline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 02:38:44 AM »

These boots are so much on their own--the other pieces should complement instead of compete, as the boots will clearly be the focal point of any outfit.  I opted for simple, classic shapes in pinky-brown neutrals.

broken___angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 09:23:43 AM »

This is my first try entering anything like this... so here goes nothing Smiley I felt that the suede tie-up at the top of the boot lent itself for a more casual look. As a previous poster said, boots like these will be the focal point of any outfit, so I tried to come up with an outfit to suit the boots, as opposed to using the boots to compliment a particular outfit. I mixed designer and affordable, trying to go for classically comfortable but still stylish. (Proof to the croc-lovers of the world that comfort doesn't have to be ugly!)
angeicmar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 11:19:46 AM »

Ah, the long boot.  Difficult to pick a good skirt length for, because if one goes too short, one is immodest; too long, and the beauty of the boot is lost!  Hopefully, I've done some justice to it with this modest effort.

I picked a floatly green-and-brown dress, with yellow accents to make it pop and feel a little brighter - my biggest complaint with any winter collection: not enough color.  The purse is also available in a larger size, but in my mind's eye, I saw this with a clutch, so . . . there you go Cheesy

Dress: http://www.overstock.com/Clothing/Jonathan-Martin-Colorblock-Dress/2291672/product.html
Sweater: http://www.overstock.com/Clothing/Talie-Long-Sleeve-High-Neck-Cardigan-Sweater/2654343/product.html
Bracelet: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7554370
Necklace: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=8393812
Bag: http://www.overstock.com/Clothing/Tigers-Eye-Mini-Evening-Bag/2529248/product.html
Shuzluva

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 03:24:52 PM »

I absolutely love that these boots are convertible. They'd look great scrunched down over skinny jeans or up high with a short skirt and swingy sweater. I've chosen a look that works with them either way; a fun neutral dress played up by green and topaz accessories and a cropped jacket. Since these boots can go either way, I've left out tights or stockings because they look so great against bare legs. Don't forget to moisturize!

OptimistPrime

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 04:20:54 PM »

A few notes on my outfit:

Since they were called 'summer boots,' I made them a summer outfit. My unifying design idea was twisted classics, which I think is pretty self-explanatory. To wear this outfit, lace the corset over the tunic dress; don't be afraid to go tight! Should the tunic dress be too short, for a tall or exceptionally modest woman, add a pair of denim, khaki, or white shorts underneath; the look will still work. I'd go with the tunic-as-dress, however. The stud earrings are completely optional; I think the outfit is fabulous without them, but I know plenty of women who don't feel dressed if there's not something in their ears. The mantilla comb is larger than you think; I'd wear it in a mid-to-low inverted ponytail. Lastly, the ring is an Imperial Roman heirloom, and as such should NOT be resized. Since it was originally a men's ring, I would suggest it be worn on the thumb, unless the woman in question has large hands.

tunic: serena dobby long tunic, 28 pounds (around $56) at monsoon.co.uk
corset: Victorian COCO silk brocade/velvet corset, $78 at unique-vintage.com
comb: museum piece (copies can be obtained at Hereford Museum and Art Gallery, Hereford, England)
choker: royalty velvet choker, $50 at tantramoreromance.com
earrings: tutankhamun style 5mm gold earrings, 110 pounds (around $225) at love2have.co.uk
purse: jeni hobo by isabella fiore, $395 (on sale) at eluxury.com
bracelet: green amber bangle, 39 pounds (around $80) at silverstall.com
sunglasses: Ray-ban Original Wayfarers in tortoiseshell, $164.95 at amazon.com
ring: Roman gold ring, 3rd-4th century, $2000 at ancienttouch.com
boots: well, you all know the rest
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 11:55:07 PM by OptimistPrime » Logged
MercyX

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 05:36:58 PM »

The boots themselves are very rich - the suede seems to emanate warmth and the style is, as the Manolo says, "rakish."  So I attempted to follow those themes through the outfit, with the warm browns and creams, soft textural fabrics, and with a few highlights of color and pattern to keep things fresh.  And of course, always giving attention to beautiful detail and keeping an eye out for interesting shapes and clean, modern lines.  In my thinking, the scarf is meant to be worn as a headband, tied at the base of the neck, while the boot can be worn either at full attention or at half mast, as the outfit will accommodate either.

Burgundy Cashmere Dress - 525 America - Bluefly - $96
Cream Sheer Turtleneck -  Graham & Spencer - Nordstrom - $253
Teal Leather Gloves - Dorothy Perkins - £18
Shearling Cape - Graeme Black - Browns Fashion - £1,765
Turquoise Dangle Earrings - msbelle - Etsy - $14.40 (sale)
Optical Circles Scarf - John Lewis - £15
Brass Cuff with Jumprings - Subversive Jewelry - Vivre - $1,105
Gold Turquoise Ruby Pendant - Boyd Tsosie -  Sedona Indian Jewelry - $1865
Fleur De Lis Socks - Equine Couture - Tony's Tack Shop - $9.95
Mercer Peet Leather Tote - Marc Jacobs - Vie Couture - $1,150
Chocolate Suede Summer Boot - Modern Vintage - Heels.com - $219.99
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 05:41:28 PM by MercyX » Logged
laurespin

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 07:48:13 PM »

Here is my very first post and very first B.T.O. entry!  I had such a fabulous time being an amateur stylist!  With this outfit, you can wear the boots all the way up or rutched.  I'd imagine it'd look good either way.  The Hermes scarf is meant to be worn as an accessory to the coat. 

spot_of_fever

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 08:38:12 PM »

When I saw the boots, I thought of the young, fierce women that I see walking around at the university where I work. I thought they would look great slouched with skinny jeans.

Notes on the outfit: I have been hating on skinny jeans up until this weekend, when I found this same flattering pair at Jcrew. In size 8/10. I know, I thought it was impossible too.  Anyway, I wanted to keep the outfit and colors relatively simple but used the jacket to balance out the impact of the boots. This is a fall/winter outfit for a more temperate zone like the South or CA. Also, the outfit got expensive pretty quick but I imagined the super-fantastic college girl finding most of these pieces already in her closet, her mom's closet, or on clearance. A very tall and long-legged girl could pull this off with the boots all the way up.

again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 10:29:46 PM »

First may I say that these boots are absolutely, totally and unabashedly fabulous.  The super-soft suede is all the elegance, and all the coziness, of winter.  Just fabulous for a(n unusually superfantastic) day at the office, mid-afternoon office Christmas party, and then a cup of coffee (or something stronger?) with a girlfriend after work, and maybe just a bit of shopping.  Since we're going to go with the boots fully extended here, we need a relatively short dress to show them off - eye-catching enough for the party, but not too crazy for work:

And to keep the legs a wee bit warm in the biting cold, we need tights - with a bit of kicky texture to turn up the interest in the matte dress:

A cuff bracelet (with a social conscience); but no necklace - the fabrics in our other pieces have enough going on to speak for themselves:

A nice warm coat - the coat should be long enough to keep the chills at bay, but is short of the knee - so I picture it covering the dress entirely, but revealing the boots, and just an inch of tights:

A scarf, to throw in a little bit of color - ahem, a lot of color:

Gloves to match:

A hat to keep the head warm (mother was right, you know, 70% of the heat escapes through the head - and it's hard to look superfantastic while shivering; oh, yes, and please disregard the scary mannequin head):

Since the outfit is already rather dear, why NOT an absolutely fabulous $900 bucket bag?  [Note to those sharply drawing breath: I only shop like this IN THE ABSTRACT]

And last - but hardly least - the indescribably wonderful boots:

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: